A festive stuffing with a healthy twist!
- 1 lb white bread such as baguette or ciabatta (cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 cup onion , diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 flax eggs
- 3 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place bread cubes on a cooking tray and dry overnight or bake in the oven at 325ºF for 30 minutes, or until bread cubes are dry and slightly colored.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onions and celery and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add walnuts (or pecans) and sauté for an additional 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add bread cubes and vegetable broth and gently toss. Add flaxseed egg, sage, parsley and rosemary and gently fold.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer mixture to baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve.