Makes 14 slices
Replace beer with non-alcoholic beer for same taste and results.
Substitute barley flour with whole wheat flour.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (375 ml)
- 3/4 cup barley flour ( 175 ml) or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup milled roasted flaxseed ( 125 ml)
- 3 Tbsp. whole seed roasted flaxseed ( 45ml)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder (15 ml)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (5ml)
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. liquid honey
- 1 can lager beer ( 355ml)
- 2 Tbsp caraway ( optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F ( 180 C)
- In a bowl, combine both flours, milled and whole flaxseed, baking powder and salt. Mix.
- In another bowl beat together egg, honey . Gently stir in beer.
- Add liquids to dry ingredients. Gently mix just until moistened.
- Spoon into a prepared loaf pan ( 11x 21 cm)
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- Ready to serve once cooled.
- Approximate Velue per slice:Energy: 140 kcal/Total Fat:3.6 g/Saturates:0.4g/ Polyunsaturates:2.3 g/Monounsaturates:0.6g/Cholesterol: 13 mg/Sodium:250 mg/Potassium:50 mg/Carbohydrates:21 g/Fibre: 6g/Sugar:2.4 g/Protein;4g/Calcium:4%/Iron:2%