Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit, or whipped cream.
Makes 5 servings
- 1 1/4 cup ( 300 ml) unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ( 60 ml) ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp ( 15 ml) baking powder
- 1 Tbsp ( 15 ml) sugar)
- 1/2 tsp ( 2 ml) salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup ( 250 ml) milk
- 2 Tbsp ( 30 ml) flaxseed oil
- 1/4 tsp ( 1 ml) vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, sugar and salt; blend well.
- In another bowl, whisk egg yolks until thick. Add milk, flaxseed oil and vanilla to egg mixture; mix well.
- Combine egg mixture with dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Heat and prepare waffle iron as per manufacturer’s directions. Scoop batter onto waffle iron and cook until done. Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit, whipped cream, etc.