A delicious and nutritious muffin to start your day. Serves 12.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) whole-wheat flour
- 3 1/2 tsp. (17.5 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp. (60 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp. (2.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milled roasted flax
- 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk ( skim, 2% or vegan)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) canola oil
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin tray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 2 tbsp. brown sugar and nutmeg. Mix well.
- In another bowl, mix roasted flax seed with 2 tbsp brown sugar -remain for topping.
- In a third bowl, whisk yogurt, milk, egg, sugar, oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour liquid mixture to dry ingredients and stir for 3 minutes till blended. Mix in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into muffin tray (1 tbsp.).
- On top of each muffin cup, add flax- brown sugar mixture and bake for approximately 12 minutes till golden brown.
- Test center of muffin with a toothpick till it comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove muffins from tray.
- Option: one also can add roasted flaxseed and brown sugar to the flour, baking powder, salt , nutmeg mixture. Proceed as above.
- Approximate Values Per Muffin: Energy:170 kcal/Total Fat: 4.8/Saturates: 0.8 g/Cholesterol:16 mg/Sodium: 125 mg/Carbohydrates: 27 g/Fibre: 3 g/Sugar: 8 g/Protein: 5.3 g/ Vitamin D:7% DV/Calcium:10% DV/Iron: 7% DV/Potassium: 5 % DV