Makes 12 scones
- 1/2 cup milled roasted flaxseed
- 2 tbsp grated orange rind
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter or non hydrogenated margarine
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp whole roasted flaxseed
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl combine flour, flax, orange rind, brown sugar, baking powder, salt.
- Cut in butter and work it in until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Set aside 4 tbsp orange juice.
- Add remaining orange juice to dry ingredients and mix until mixture forms a soft dough.
- Put dough on flouered surface and knead gently 4-5 times.
- Divide dough in half, form two balls. Roll ech ball into a 15 cm circle, 1 cm thick.
- Cut each into 6 wedges. Place wedges on baking sheet.
- Pierce top with a fork.
- In a sauce pan Bring to a boil orange juice and sugar.
- Brush scones with glaze. Sprinkle with whole roasted flaxseed.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven and brush agian with remaining glace.